Monday 24 February 2014

To do : Decoupaged coat hangers


I told you on my first ever post on this blog that I will not only be reviewing things, but I will also be coming up with ideas on how to brighten up your days, whether it be with cocktail recipes or something more physical. In this case I thought it would be a good idea to tell you how you could brighten up your wardrobe.

My wardrobe has always been a dark and uninteresting hole. Even though I can fill it with the most attractive clothing, the shop plastic coat hangers have always been a eye sore. Because of this I came up with the idea of buying some new wooden clothes hangers and decorating them all sorts of different ways.

One main type of decorating I used was decoupage. Decoupaging is really quick and simple, and they do result in a really pretty and neat hangers as you can see from the example in the photos.


To create these beautiful decoupaged hangers, all you have to do is:
- Get some wooden hangers and quickly give them a going over with some sand paper. By doing this will get rid of the varnish on the hangers which will allow the tissue paper to stick on the wood easily.
- This bit is up to you, but before I stuck the paper on the hanger I decided to give the wood a coating of white paint so that the colour of the paper will not be darkened by the colour of the wood. Instead, the white paint allows the paper to show its true bright colours.
- Now get some thin paper (like tissue paper, newspaper, or magazine cuttings) and just simply use some PVA glue to stick the paper onto the hanger making sure to cover every inch.
- To finish off the hangers you can either cover the whole hanger with PVA to give it a shiny coat, or you can do it the proper way and coat the hanger with some clear and glossy glaze spray.
- Lastly, allow to dry and then brighten up your wardrobe and start hanging some clothes.

If you feel like decoupage is too much for you, then maybe you could just paint the hangers like the one I did below. This idea is very simple, and all you have to do is follow the instructions above, but replace the decoupage with acrylic paint.


Altogether I used:
- Wooden hangers: from Wilkinsons, 1 pack of 5 =£3, or 2 packs of 5 =£5
- Sand paper: from Wilkinsons, 1 pack of 10 sheets = £1.50
- Acrylic paint: from Wilkinsons, 1 75ml tube = £0.95
- Floral tissue paper: from Hobbycraft, 1 pack of 3 sheets = £3.75
- PVA glue: from Hobbycraft, 1 250ml tube = £2.00
- Paint brush: randomly found in cupboard, but they are normally cheap from any stationary shop.
-  Prism clear glaze spray: from online, 1 60ml tin = £4.50

If your wardrobe is already occupied by some neat hangers, then maybe you could make some as a gift, or even just hang some up in your spare room. They are always a cute idea and are bound to get compliments.

I hope you enjoy making these and using them as much as I do.

 x x


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! defiantly going to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooden Coat Hangers from Bizarkdeal

    The J.S hanger solid beech wooden are the perfect hangers for my coats/jackets and clothes. The hangers are strong and sturdy with rotating hooks. The size and design of the hangers works well with my clothes because they do not stretch the shoulders and leave that annoying bump that sticks out on the corners. I can hang coats, jackets, sweaters, and blouses. I can also hang my spaghetti strap tank/dresses because the of the notched shoulders of the hangers. All in all great quality hangers and would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete